Sunday, October 30, 2011

Greenbrier


Bob and I met some friends in Richmond, and after a quick tour of town, and a stay overnight, we headed out bright and early for our real destination ~ The Greenbrier.

I was pretty excited when I saw these gates.


Oh my.





It truly is a grand hotel.

I really knew nothing about it, I wasn't even sure what state it was in ~ {West Virginia} ~ but I had heard that it was one of those old grand hotels, and I really do love those for some reason.
{who wouldn't?!}


The view from the door looking through the arches.  We might have missed the peak of leaf color by a few days, but it was still just stunning.





The Greenbrier is located in White Sulphur Springs, WV, and the hotel had several locations where the springs once bubbled up and people came from far and near to "take the waters".  This is one of the spring houses.  Now the spring water is piped into the spa.


This row of cottage had been transformed into artists' shops.  Robin and I each bought a glass Christmas ornament at the glass blowers shop.
                                                                                 





This is the north entrance ~ you head out this way to the golf courses and outdoor pool and walking trails.  Robin and I enjoyed the rocking chairs on the porch just soaking in the view.



Inside, the hotel decor was done by Dorothy Draper and it is just stunning.  I love color, and it was so fun to see room after room of vibrant colors.  

This was Robin and Jim's room.



We had a sitting room in between our bedrooms and it was WILD!


This was our room and I loved it.



And these double doors were the doors to our suite, I am standing in the sitting room taking the picture.


We ate dinner one night at the golf course, at Sam Snead's.  Love the decor!


This was part of the main dining room ~ chandeliers everywhere.


The ballroom.


A cozy bar ~ and right off this room was the writing room, and after reading the history of Dorothy Draper, I see that the writing room is one of her most photographed rooms.  And I didn't get a picture!!  I guess I need to do some homework BEFORE I go, so I know to get the good shots!




And, lastly, on the morning of our departure, Robin and I took a carriage ride around the grounds.  




On our way back to our hotel, look who we ran into!  They had the best time playing golf there.


And that is it for the Greenbrier.  It was a wonderful, special time with good friends.









6 comments:

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

O*M*GOD!!!!!!!!! When I saw that first picture of the Greenbriar I GASPED!!! How GORGEOUS!!!! And the landscaping is amazing too! Now that is on my bucket list to go there too!!! XO, Pinky

Debbie said...

Yowza!! You have just added a new destination to my dream list. I think I need to get out of Blog Land. My dream list is getting longer, and I'm not getting any younger or richer.

I would have loved it all. The cottage art shops would have been right up my alley as well as the carriage ride. I just love a carriage ride. It's an imagination inspiration.

Lori said...

Great place. Fun to get to travel with good friends. My hubby would have liked the golf too.

The Martys said...

Wow.... what pretty grounds. Looks like a place to put on the list. Glad you had fun with Robin and Jim.

TLEB said...

What a beautiful hotel - glad you had such a great time with Robin and Jim!

jessica said...

WOW, beautiful! A fun place to visit for sure!