Wednesday, December 7, 2011

GIngerbread Fun

I wanted to share some of our Christmas traditions with my niece and nephew while they visited for Thanksgiving.

I planned a sleepover for them, and our sickness prevented that ~ but I still gave them their matching gingerbread pajamas and they wore them for our  gingerbread breakfast the next morning and they were all adorable.

The 2 E's
  Emma and Elizabeth










The table was set with brown craft paper ~ easy clean up ~ and a house for each family to decorate.  I had aprons for the kids to wear {no pictures:-( }.   



Our menu was simple, pancakes and fruit.  I found the pancake syrup at World Market and that set the menu.  And at Grandma's pancakes come with whip cream and sprinkles, so of course I knew they'd all eat that.

                                                                             


Cute little bottles for water while they were decorating.


I made each child a placemat, and they got a fun headband to wear too.  I had gingerbread stickers to decorate the placemats but they were quickly covered with sticky frosting, so I will save those for another morning at Grandma's.


Darling ready made house I found at our local grocery store.  Yeah ~ I didn't like the idea of trying to put together my own.





And how cute is this little ornament?  I got an ad in the mail with a picture of this and knew it would perfectly represent our gingerbread breakfast.  I gave one to each mom and one for me!




We read this book to begin our decorating.  If you are familiar with the story, you  remember that the little boy's gingerbread baby has escaped and no one can catch him, until the clever little boy makes a gingerbread house for his gingerbread baby.   It was the perfect intro for us to make our very own houses for the gingerbread baby.  
My little grandson Ben was looking proudly at his house when it was finished and said "I know he would want to live in here!"  I was so glad that he had payed such careful attention to the story.  With all of the chaos of 6 littles decorating you're never quite sure just what sticks!!













We are a little Minnie Pearl around here ~ note the price tag on Elizabeth's apron.  Whoops!!


It was so much fun, I think a new tradition has begun!

Merry Christmas!






8 comments:

Love Being A Nonny said...

you KNOW Nonny loves this! All of the children and the decorations are beautiful! By the way, where did you get the jammies?

Debbie said...

I think this is a wonderful tradition. I love the matching jammies and the little headbands, and all those Sue-per Grandma details that I always find here.

I like to make/decorate gingerbread houses, but I don't love the construction of the house itself. I need to look for some ready made ones.

Lori said...

Talk about fun. Every detail is perfect. Our Tom Thumb had those houses undecorated too.

The Martys said...

The kids had so much fun at this party. When we took our house out of the box, Evan wanted to know if the gingerbread boy was living in his house. I guess he was paying attention too. Thank you for including us in the fun tradition. We need to live by you so we can always be part of the fun.

The party was so adorable. I will be adding some pictures to Pinterest.

Jen S. said...

You have SUCH FUN PARITES! You think of EVERYTHING....right down to every little detail! :) It's so amazing. Looks like everyone had a ball!

Those drinking bottles are so neat! Also, I LOVE that little ornament....it's super cute!

Have a great day! :)

Jen S. said...

OOPS...I meant "parties"...sorry!

Justabeachkat said...

Wow, what a great tradition! The kids will always remember the fun gingerbread party at your house.

Big Christmas hugs,
Kat

Sue said...

Angela ~ I got the pj's at Gymboree.