Tuesday, February 15, 2011

It's A Library!

 I feel like the title of this post should be "How I Spent My Icy Vacation."  This room is where I spent most of my time during the 3 days I never left the house Superbowl week.


I shared the before of this room here.  It is a very small room, with very little book shelf space, but we helped the situation with the addition of this bookcase.  It was kind of hard to find a bookcase that would work in this room.


First of all, I wanted it to be black.  The room is full of wood paneling and I'm not very fond of it but I wasn't going to change it.  I didn't want a wood toned  bookcase to add to the problem.  Black goes with everything in my house, so that's what I looked for, and I found this one.  It is the perfect size, not as massive as so many are, which was another criteria.


I hung 2 tole trays on existing nails, which is why they are so far apart.  I have a few more trays to add, once I get some more hangers, and then I will space them properly.   I really like the trays in here.  I may move those black and white plates and add a few trays on the other side of the window too.  We'll see.
We {I mean Bob and Laura} moved the love seat from our former home out of the garage where it has spent the last 3 years.  It is a cute love seat, but I just couldn't fit it in this house anywhere so I am hoping it will work out in here. {the black fringe does go on the bottom of the top cushions, I realized after posting that the cushions have that smooshed lived in look ~whoops!}
 I also moved the little tray coffee table in here ~ it had no home either.



This is the view sitting on the love seat.  The room has double doors and a pretty leaded window.  The view out those black windows is of our backyard and pool.




This bookcase is on the left of the fireplace.  I moved all of my fiction hardcover books to this case, and the black bookcase.  Yay ~ all together again!!
The doors underneath house my paperback fiction.  Most of that collection is at the cabin in Wisconsin, but I have a few new ones here and this will be just about the right amount of space.
This itty bitty bookcase holds fiction waiting to be read!  I am glad to have it in one spot so I can choose what to read next.  I LOVE to read!  These usually were in varioius piles all over my house. 


 One shelf holds my hardcover Christmas collection of grown up books, and the bottom shelf has books about books.  I have a few books that contain book lists and I love having them in one spot too.  In the cabinet underneath are travel guides and an empty shelf!  I love empty shelves!!





Please excuse the horrible lighting in this picture but I wanted to show the ceiling in this room.  {my camera stinks, a new one is on the list, I just don't know what I want}  It is a lovely coffered ceiling that used to have an ugly ceiling fan.  Bob recently hung this chandelier and what a difference.


  I included some close ups of my decorating books because I saw Penny of Comforts of Home showcase hers, and I thought it was a fun idea.  See Penny's here.  I do love to peek at peoples bookshelves.







So, there you have it, a little progress made in my library.  I am liking having the love seat in there, the grandchildren and I fit perfectly and I call it our storybook chair.  I keep a big basket of books on the floor for them to choose from.  I am going to be playing around with things on the walls but that's about it for now.




I am joining Kim for WOW US Wednesdays.





16 comments:

Unknown said...

It is lovely! You have so many books on decorating! I want to hang out in YOUR library! The bookcase works perfectly. What a lovely addition. If this were my home it would be my "new" favorite spot. Good Job. Blessings <3 Paula

Anita@Theycallmejammi said...

Love your room Sue...you did a great job. You have really created a cozy library feel...I would love to snuggle up in a corner and read one of your books....can I choose??

Vicki said...

Sue, this library turned out great. It has lots of nice detail work. I'd love to spend some time in there.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

You really do have some wonderful decorating books...and I LOVE a library area! We have one in our home...but NO book shelves yet! Love the ceiling of this room, really makes it seem like a library! What a great room...I could spend ALL of my time there! ♥

Sue said...

I remember this room from a previous post- it has great bones. Beautiful woodwork, fireplace, ceiling... Once you get all of your furnishings and accessories in there, it will look lovely, I'm sure. Comfy and perfect for all the reading you and the grandchildren enjoy. :-)
~ Sue

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

I love your warm cozy library. That black bookcase is perfect. I have been thinking about painting my bookcase in the sitting room black. Still not sure though. May choose a different color. Thanks for joining the party this week.

Susan Freeman said...

What a lovely and cozy library!! I am your newest follower. I hope that you will stop by and visit my cottage too.

Love,
Susan and Bentley
xxoo

Jima said...

Where did you get the rug in the last picture? It is beautiful and exactly what I am looking for in my hearth room. Love your house. It's beautiful!

Bonnie@ The Hopeless Romantic said...

I love the bookshelves, hubby is in the process of building me some. I cant waite, as all of my books are packed in the closet without a home, lol..........im stopping by from Kims, thanks for wowing me! LOL

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! Wonderful room!

~ Lisa ~ said...

All I can say is lovely.... and I saw your books by Alexandra Stoddard... love, love, love her. She was cool years ago and still is.

GREAT JOB... thanks for sharing.

~ Lisa from Indiana ~

Anne said...

Hi Sue, and thank you for visiting and leaving your sweet comment about the nest earrings! Your library is warm, elegant,and so inviting! esp with those wonderful design and garden books to peruse...

Debbie said...

You definitely WOWED me with your library. I would love to have a room like that, filled with books. And that ceiling? Wow again.

I tried to comment on this way earlier in the day, but jusssst about that time, blogger started eating my pictures and making me unable comment.

I have never seen anything quite like it. It made me cry...sigh...

Sanctified Spaces said...

Lovely library.Enjoyed reading the post.

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

I LOVE that black bookcase! In fact I love your whole library. I would love to have a library with a fireplace, wood, etc. It looks like the most cozy of places!

We do have a lot of the same books, don't we? Thanks for the mention to my blog...
Hugs,
Penny

Erica (Irene) said...

I love your bookcase and room.......it's almost exactly like mine, same wall colour and the room is about the same size. here I keep all my decorating books and cookboks. Thanks for sharing, I'm now follower of yours, enjoyed your Blog.