Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Not Boring!


Today I am going to share a project that we had done the first year we lived in our house.

Under our front staircase we had a coat closet.  I don't have any before pictures, but I think you can picture a small closet underneath the stairs.  In this picture below you can see the doorway ~ right around the corner from our little entry chest.  Of course, the is the "after" door.

 It is a small wine cellar!  Really, not a cellar at all, just a small wine closet, but cellar sounds better, doesn't it?


We left the door trim, and had an iron gate made for the opening.  It swings in or out.   {the grandchildren think it is a jail!  I promise we don't put them in there :-) }
 We had a slate floor and countertop put in and a small wine rack.
 I hung my plates from the wine country on the side curving wall.  There were a few different plugs and things on the wall and the plates hide them nicely.
 I hung some sconces on the other wall for a little candle glow.

 And this last picture is a "today" shot.  The only change we have made is to paint the baseboards the same red as the walls.  In the above pictures, you might notice the baseboards sticking out like a sore thumb.  Bob took care of that, and it looks much better.
I am linking to Kim's Boring to Better party.  Go on over and see all of the fun projects.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful idea, Sue! Love it.

Thanks so much for stopping by the Back Porch.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Sue, what a great use of space. Love the iron grille for the door. Thanks for linking this week.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Such a fabulous idea. It looks wonderful. The iron gate is gorgeous. Hugs, Marty

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

Oh how I LOVE the iron gate/door! Gorgeous! Great idea too! Love this!!!! XO, Pinky

Cathy~Mille Fleur said...

Sooooo NOT boring! Love love love! What a great use of space! My husband and I were just talking about what to do with the closet under our stairs...it has always been my son's toy closet. We have a bar in the area directly across from the closet but maybe we could incorporate some kind of wine storage as well...hhhmmmm...now the wheels are spinning;)!

Kim said...

Fabulous! And I agree, NOT boring! I just LOVE your taste. You are a master at Southern style decorating.
xoxo,
Kim

Nikki said...

LOVE that door!! Thanks for stopping by my blog!